Welcome Homeschool Families!
Surry County Schools is pleased to invite homeschool students and their families to be involved in the exciting learning opportunities taking place in our schools. Our school system places an emphasis on customized and personalized learning for all students. We believe that choice and options, custom-designed to meet each student’s needs, are important for the success of each child. Fostering a positive relationship with the local homeschool community is beneficial to all.
If you are a homeschool family and are interested in learning more details about future partnerships, please call Dr. Jill Reinhardt, Associate Superintendent of Academics and Student Services via email or by phone at 336-386-8211.
Opportunities for Elementary School Students
Surry County Schools offers an exciting variety of enriching opportunities for elementary-age students, facilitated by top-notch educators. Your child is welcome to participate in one or more of these activities scheduled throughout the week. On-campus learning experiences include Digital Learning lab, art, music, and physical education.
Opportunities for Middle School Students
Once students reach middle school age, their personal interests and talents begin to emerge. This is an important age for exploring a variety of topics. Whether they want to take their first steps in programming or to develop their artistic or musical skills, Surry County Schools has opportunities to meet students’ needs. Likewise, your child is eligible to participate in after-school activities including athletics and certain academic competitions. On-campus learning experiences include Computer Science Discoveries, art, chorus, band, physical education, Career Pathways, and Project Lead the Way. Additional activities are athletics, First Lego League Robotics, Debate Team, Science Fair, and more!
Opportunities for High School Students
The high school experience is designed to help high school students further their learning and to continue to grow their personal talents as they prepare for pathways leading to a career or higher education. Surry County Schools is proud to partner with our local homeschool community to help parents meet the needs of their child. On-campus courses are available to homeschool students that include Core and AP courses, Foreign Language courses, and Career and Technical Education courses. Also, off-campus opportunities and additional activities are available. See below for more information.
On-Campus Courses, Off-Campus Opportunities, and Additional Activities
- Core and AP Courses - Students may enroll in one or more of our many high school course offerings, including core academic courses such as English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, etc. They may also choose to be a part of Advanced Placement courses, potentially earning college credits upon completion.
- Foreign Language - Each of our traditional high schools offers at least two levels of Spanish. This is a crucial addition to transcripts for students seeking to enroll in a 4-Year University.
- Career & Technical Education- Surry County Schools offers a wide variety of Career Technical pathways, many of which can lead to industry-recognized credentials including Digital Media, Health Science, Agricultural Science, and more.
- ACT Prep and Testing - Periodically, Surry County Schools offers student workshops designed to help them take the ACT exam. Enroll your child in one of these upcoming sessions!
- NC Career & College Promise (CCP) - Surry County Schools is happy to partner with our homeschool families to help students leverage tuition-free NC Community College Courses through the NC Career & College Promise program.
- Surry Virtual Academy - does your student need the flexibility of online learning? Surry County Schools is a pioneer in North Carolina with fully-online courses. We have an extensive offering of online courses through our renowned Surry Virtual Academy. These courses are facilitated by educators, here, in our community who are experts in their content and trained to deliver high-quality learning in a fully-online format. To see a full listing of our courses, click here.
- Other student organizations (depending on eligibility)
Frequently Asked Questions
Your student may participate in Digital Learning lab, art, music, and physical education.
Families interested in learning more about our schools can call the front office where someone will be happy to help you schedule a tour and/or a meeting.
Classes available to homeschool students can be found by visiting our Course Guide. Note: The course selection guide includes courses that are offered during class registration, but may or may not be taught depending on student interest.