The Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model is a research-based and validated instructional model that has proven effective in addressing the academic needs of English learners throughout the United States.
The primary responsibilities of the SIOP Specialist in Surry County Schools is to provide supplemental support for ESL teaching staff, to assist in planning for ESL students, and to be involved in the on-going ESL professional development. Some of the duties for the SIOP Specialist/Coach include guidance that will ensure:
- Focus on the academic English skills, such as writing, vocabulary understanding, reading of level texts, and oral presentations.
- Development of lesson plans using SIOP strategies that include language and content objectives.
- Support with ESL teacher observations.
- Goal setting for improvement of ESL instruction and for LEP student success
- Training for all ESL staff about SIOP strategies and support for classroom teachers.