The NC Pre-K Program is designed to provide high-quality educational experiences to enhance school readiness for eligible four-year-old children. The NC Pre-K Program Requirements are built on the National Education Goals Panel’s premise that to be successful academically in school, children need to be prepared in all five of the developmental domains that are critical to children’s overall well-being and success in reading and math as they enter school:
- Approaches to play and learning
- Emotional and social development
- Health and Physical Development
- Language development and communication
- Cognitive development
In the 2016-2017 school year Surry County Schools served 158 PreK students in twelve classrooms with highly qualified teachers. All classroom maintained a 5-star license. Other facts of the PreK program in Surry County Schools are:
- 152 of the children screened had improved scores of 29 points or more on DIAL screening.
- 186 families were served through home visits, parent information sessions, and conferences.
- 100% of the returned parent surveys indicated parent satisfaction with service delivery.
- There were 46 referrals to other agencies with 99% receiving services for which they were referred.