Battle of the Books
Surry County Schools is proud to offer both a elementary and middle school Battle of the Books program in all K-8 schools. This program offers our students a great enrichment program focused on fostering a love of reading.
- The winners of the district level competition compete at region and then the state level.
- Battle of the Books, sponsored by the North Carolina School Library Association, is a program with the goal of promoting the love of reading and introducing students to outstanding literature.
- The state Battle of the Books committee compiles a new list of titles each year representing a wide genre of literature to broaden reading interests.
- Through the fun and excitement of a team competition, students improve their reading skills and develop a life-long love of reading.
- Students at participating school read books from a list established by the state Battle of the Books committee, and then compete in quiz bowl-style tournaments to test their knowledge of these books.