Residency License Teachers

  • As a prerequisite to employment, all new teachers must meet with Carolyn Simpson, Licensure Specialist.  At this meeting what you need to do to complete the residency license process will be explained.

    An individual, including those who hold the Permit to Teach or Emergency License, may qualify for a one-year Residency License in a teaching area, with the option to renew twice, within no longer than a three-year period. All requirements to convert a Residency License to either an Initial Professional License or Continuing Professional License must be completed before the expiration of the second renewal of the Residency License. Individuals must meet all of the following requirements:

    1.  holds, at a minimum, a baccalaureate degree; 

    2.  has either completed 24 hours of coursework in the requested licensure area or passed the NCSBE required content area examination(s) for the requested licensure area; 

    3.  is enrolled in a recognized Educator Preparation Program (EPP), Students must have earned a grade point average of at least 2.7 on a four-point scale for formal admission to approved North Carolina EPPs, and; 

    4.  meets all other requirements established by the NCSBE, including completing preservice requirements prior to teaching.

    A Residency License must be requested by a North Carolina public school system and accompanied by a certification of supervision from the recognized EPP in which the individual is enrolled. The local school system shall be responsible for verifying the candidate’s enrollment in an approved EPP. A Residency License is issued for one year and renewable twice at the recommendation of an employing North Carolina school system.

    In order to renew a Residency License for the second or the third year, the LEA must verify

    1.  the license holder taught at least six calendar months, during the prior school year, and;

    2.  continued enrollment with an EPP, and; 

    3.  employment of the teacher in an LEA, and;

    4.  the license holder completed 10 days of required professional development.

    Individuals must complete all requirements, pass NCSBE-required licensure testing requirements, and receive the recommendation of an EPP to convert the Residency License to the Initial or Continuing Professional License within three years of the effective date of the Residency License.

    If an individual fails to renew the Residency License for either the second or third year, the current Residency License will expire. Within three years of the effective date of the original Residency License, a Residency License may be reinstated at the request of an LEA if the following conditions are met:

    1.  The individual taught at least six calendar months during the year when they last held an active Residency License, and; 

    2.  The individual is enrolled with an EPP, and;

    3.  The individual is employed as a teacher in an LEA.

    Military personnel and military personnel spouses whose residency licensure program is interrupted by a call to active duty or relocation to an out-of-state duty station shall be eligible to resume the program of study at the point of separation upon documented return to a duty station and employment in North Carolina public schools. 

    For Career and Technical Education areas, the State Board may establish alternate criteria related to that area to establish competency in lieu of a baccalaureate degree, as specified in the CTE Licensure Policies and Procedures Manual.

    Teachers assigned to multiple subject areas shall be issued a Residency License for one licensure area and may add the additional Residency License area at the request of the employing school system. The additional Residency License areas may be cleared in accordance with Section 1.23 of this policy. Note: The primary Residency licensure area must be cleared through an EPP before any additional areas can be cleared.

    Residency Licenses are only issued at the A-level and may be awarded experience credit and graduate pay if requirements are met and approved by DPI.  For more information visit NCDPI website.