Students must be in good academic standing to apply for an internship. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 is preferred, but the final decision about participation rests with the school recommendation. Student must:
- Have a junior or senior high school status
- Have at least 12-20 hours per week to devote to an internship position
- Have a career interest and some coursework and/or credentials related to internship site.
- Work/Intern at minimum of 180 hours during a semester period to receive high school internship credit.
- Complete program requirement forms such as parental approval, travel documentation, hour verification, and other pertinent forms.
- Complete any academic courses and/or certifications required of the internship site.
- Complete any necessary assignments to receive high school credit for the internship.
- Perform satisfactory or higher on performance evaluations.
- Be flexible! The student's schedule may need to be adjusted to include your internship time and coursework and/or certifications required.
Stipends and Travel Expenses
Surry County Schools received the Golden Leaf Foundation Grant which has afforded students the opportunity to receive a stipend for their internship and travel expenses. Students can receive up to $500 per semester in a stipend and up to $500 per semester for travel expenses, totaling $1000.
Travel: If interns provide their own transportation and turn in their monthly timesheet by the due date, they will receive $125 at the end of each month. If interns need Surry County Schools to provide transportation to and from your internship site, they will not receive a transportation stipend.
Stipends: Students will receive $100 per month for completing your internship experience. Timesheet and any other required paperwork must be completed and turned in to receive the stipend. Interns will receive a $10 “bonus” stipend for Overall Performance of “Average” on the Intern Evaluation and a $25 “bonus” stipend for Overall “Good to Outstanding” on the Evaluation.
Employer Pay: Some employers may decide to pay student interns a wage, give a bonus, or pay for transportation expenses. This is an agreement between the intern and the employer.
For more information contact:
Mrs. Crystal Folger-Hawks