Welcome to the SCS Science Institute
The mission of the Sury County Schools Science Institute is to provide students and teachers opportunities to engage in meaningful science experiences with which to deepen their knowledge of scientific concepts and further their understanding of the scientific process.
The Surry County Schools Science Institute was established in the fall of 2015 through funding from a 5-year Educational Workforce Innovation Fund Grant (EWIF). In the early years the program focused on elementary STEM education and has expanded over the years to include support for both students and STEM content teachers across all grade spans. The Surry County Schools Science Institute also provides leadership and support for the district Science Fair program and the Surry First Lego League.
The Surry County Schools Science Institute has allowed our district to:
- Provide a STEM coach to support teachers in grades K-8.
- Provide research based science support materials.
- Offer professional learning opportunities for teachers and science teacher leaders.
- Take teams of science teacher leaders to STEM-based conferences.
- Provide strategic planning for STEM for grades K-12
- Coach teachers in best practices in teaching science and STEM.
- Model science teaching lessons.
- Design curriculum to specifically meet teacher and student needs.
- Establish an science equipment loan program for all schools in the district.
- Offer students in grades 2-5 field trip opportunities to the Science Institute.
- Increase 5th grade EOG science scores.
- Secure additional grant funding for professional development, student enrichment, and classroom support.