The Next Generation Career Academy, in partnership with the Golden Leaf Foundation, is an opportunity for students to complete an internship in a local business, gain valuable real-world experience, earn high school credit, college credit, industry-recognized credentials, a financial stipend and get paid for travel!
The mission of Next Generation Career Academy is to support the economic vitality of the region by matching interns to meet the needs of the community with business partners. Surry County Schools along with Surry Community College will prepare students for work-based learning, assist with industry-recognized credentials, and Career and Technical college courses. In addition, the Next Generation Career Academy will provide mutually beneficial links between students and employers with the goal of increasing skilled workers in our community.
Partnering with Surry Community College, interns will receive training in the following areas:
- Human Resource Development (Soft Skills including time management, communication, employer expectations, problem solving)
- Public Speaking
- Microsoft Outlook and Excel
- DiSC Behavioral Assessment
- Introduction to LEAN Manufacturing
- Personal Finance
- Resume/Job Interview/Job Searching Skills
- OSHA 10-Hour Training
- Students will also earn high school credit for the internship experience.
The Importance of Interns
An internship is a carefully monitored work experience in which a student has intentional learning goals and reflects actively on what he/she is learning throughout the experience. There are many benefits to students and employers. The student’s education is improved and the employer's workforce is increased by:
- Introducing the intern to modern workplace equipment and actual workplace problems.
- Giving students access to experiences that require more knowledge and skills than ordinary “student jobs”.
- Giving educators and employers the chance to work together in preparing students for success in the workplace.
- Helping educators connect the classroom to the modern workplace.
- Helping students understand the importance of their classroom instruction.
- Giving students the opportunity to have a real world experience in a career field in which they have an interest.
- Creating possible future opportunities for young people in the companies where they intern and possible future employees for companies that need them.
For more information contact:
Mrs. Crystal Folger-Hawks